Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Day of Beauty

Two posts in one day!  But before I get to Post #2, I'll first share a quick story.

Apparently today was "Safety Drill" day the Hotel where I'm staying and, in a letter earlier this week, all tower and apartment residents were asked to participate.  Of course, since I'm on the ground floor of a three story building and my door opens right up to the outside, I didn't give the drill a second thought (but definitely made a mental note to remember to run out the door, to the outside just in case there's ever an emergency).

Having completely forgotten about the drill, I came home from work while the cleaning ladies were here to tidy up.  Just as they were about to leave, one of them turned to me, politely smiled and asked me something in English, the only portion of which I understood was "safety drill"  After several unsuccessful attempts, another worker happened to pass by and told me what she was saying: "Do you want to enjoy the safety drill with us today?"  I don't think I've ever "enjoyed" a safety drill before, but isn't that cute?!  :o)

Now on to Post #2: Having reassured her that I could find my way out my outside, I instead set my sights on a much more pressing matter...a shave!  It seems that on the way back to Vietnam from Phoenix in early March, the electrical plug on my beard trimmer broke.  No problem for the first month as my trimmer remained well charged  Big problem once the charge ran dry.  I guess I could always shave the old fashioned way, but even then, I had no way to trim my goatee and moustache.

After procrastinating, as usual, on a solution, I was forced to explain my unruly beard a few days later to one of the women I work with.  After explaining what happened, she was kind enough to offer to have the plug fixed and asked me to bring it in and she'd take care of it.  I was skeptical, but given my growing desperation, I brought the plug in that afternoon and two days later had it back in my hands, all fixed, good as new! 



That night, I plugged it in to re-charge during the night, cautiously optimistic that I'd finally get to trim my sad looking chin.  The next morning after my shower, I eagerly grabbed the trimmer, held it to my cheek and turned it on.  My immediate surprise that it fired right up and worked fine was quickly followed by despair as it no sooner died.  From that point on, it would work, but only for 3-4 seconds at a time, with plenty of time needed between "shaves" to recharge.  Fortunately, I left for Holland the next day and was able to get a shave the first day we arrived in Voorhout.

Since getting back from Europe a week and a half ago, I've been shaving 3-4 seconds at a time when I can, but it was clearly time to take care of what had become an unruly beard once again.  Fortunately I had two options.

The first was the local barbershop.  Several of our pilots and a couple of the Management guys gave him a definite thumbs up.  Problem is, there is no "shop" in barbershop. 

Notice the mirror and price list hung for your styling convenience!"

The local male hairstylist works under a tree across the street. I'm sure he does a great job and all, but frankly the thought of possibly "going under the blade" for every passerby to see didn't excite me.  Neither did rumor that he has a stick he pokes in each ear as some kind of massage!  A more pressing concern was the fear of electrocution should he happen to use some electrical device strung by extension cord over a branch!  Needless to say, "Tree Man", as he's fondly called by my expat friends, was out.  

Instead I tried the first salon I came to down the street.

Option #2

The "Ngoc Mai Beauty Salon" just happened to be open, so I stepped inside, gesticulated toward my chin and face and was told to have a seat and they'd be right with me (more or less).  I attempted to take as many pictures as I could while I was there, but didn't want to be to obvious.  Most didn't turn out, but here's a quick look at My Day of Beauty!

"Have a seat, sir.  We'll be right with you!"

My view from the shampoo bowl
I was real still right here (but still managed to get a picture!)
Fuzzy pic, but not something I needed (or that you'd see anywhere at home).
My shave also included a head, face, eyeball, ear, neck and shoulder massage.  At one point (at which I attempted a picture but failed), my stylist threw a washcloth over my face, turned on the hot water and ran the water over my head (my first thought was was this what waterboarding was like?!).  That was fine, but then she literally began pounding on my head while the water ran.  Inter-sting!!

All in all, I was in and out in a mere 45 mintes!  And my shave, goatee trim and message cost me all of about $5 bucks (and I paid $30 in the Netherlands and didn't even get my head pounded on!).

Tonight, another trip to the Night Market!  Underwear?  Fake designer sunglasses?  $1 Leather Belts?  Hurry and order now! 

4 comments:

  1. "Do you want to enjoy a safety drill with us today?" Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny!!!! I laughed right out loud all by myself at least 3 times! Love these stories!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG i cant WAIT to get my ears cleaned out by the barber under the tree !!! omg omg omg!!

    ReplyDelete