Wednesday, May 4, 2011

More Home Cookin'!

I'm pretty fortunate in that Tay Ho has quite a few great restaurants right around the corner and a wide range of cuisine to choose from.  Within a short walk, I can find Ukrainian, Spanish (tapas), Italian, Japanese (sushi), Indian, French, Belch (isn't that what you call food from Belgium?!) and most recently, I found a really good Moroccan restaurant. Since I doubt there's much interest in reading about the latest on the Vietnamese-Moroccan food scene, I'll just tell you about what I had for lunch today instead. 

As I think I've mentioned before, the favorite street vendor for most of the Americans working at Air Mekong happens to be right next door at "Bun Bo Nam Bo".  I've eaten there several times before, but today, instead of pho, I tried something new.  


Like "Mai Anh" next door, it's not much to look at.  You can't even say it's a hole in the wall since there really isn't a wall.  The restaurant is just kinda hangin' off the side of the building next door. 



As you step inside to the counter, you place your order and can see all the fresh (un-refridgerated) ingredients from which to choose.  (The general concensus here is that we'll probably frequent Bun Bo Nam Bo a little less frequently this summer when the temperature starts warming up.  Somehow we're not sure meat was meant to sit outside in 100 degree heat).


After ordering, you can sit up top or make your way down stairs that OSHA would find violates every stairway safety law known to man (but check out the astroturf!)

At the bottom of the stairs sits a sad dog who's not terribly friendly.  He, no doubt, has had buddies in Hanoi who had fates much worse than his.  Fortunately for him, there is no "cho" (dog) on the menu at Bun Bo Nam Bo. 

(I should add that the "dog" thing was discussed yesterday at lunch, in part because when I told them how much I loved the "bun cha" I tried recently, they all wanted to clarify that it was indeed "cha" (pork) and not "cho" (dog).  Fortunately, Fido isn't widely found in Hanoi, but more often in rural areas.  Rumor has it that it's quite tender and tastes like chicken!  Ok, I added the last part.  And rest assured, while I have an adventurous palate, I love dogs too much to make them part of my diet).


The downstairs patio.


Today's ca phe sua da.  And some iced green tea (but who needs that?!)


And today's feature, My Xau Bo. 

Any college student will recognize the ramen-like noodles on the bottom of the dish.  They're boiled in a very tasty buttery broth.  There's also beef (bo) and today's green, bok choy.  I've also seen it served with the susu vegetable I had yesterday.

My mom will be pleased to know that I cleaned my plate yet again.  I'd suggest that I was only being polite, but Vietnamese dish I've eaten so far has been delicious.  

3 comments:

  1. Another interesting restaurant with I guess I would say "unusual" food items. Glad you cleaned your plate and hope that you ate at the downstairs patio which looks quite neat and clean I think...forget that stairway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They eat super vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was that green tea? It looks so dark!

    ReplyDelete