Monday, May 2, 2011

Homemade Sua Da

Since today is the second of the two Vietnamese holidays being celebrated this weekend (today is International Workers Day), the restaurant where I normally get my pho each morning is closed.  Surprisingly, I planned ahead and got a couple of muffins from the French bakery down the street along with some delicious Vinamilk Yogurt from the Fivi-Mart (it's good, but not as good as the homemade stuff Chi shared with me last weekend). 

Of course, all this sugar can make a guy thirsty, so why not make my first attempt at some homemade ca phe sua da?  With the help of my friend Neil (who donated his sua da maker when he moved to Ho Chi Minh City last month) and Chi (who helped me buy both the coffee and condensed milk Saturday), I thought I'd give it a try.

So here are all the components: sua do thing, coffee grounds, condensed milk, water.
 

 I'll add some "ca phe" in the little brewer.  I have no idea how much to add, so let's see how this goes.


Pour in a little hot water.


Let brew for a few minutes


Pour over ice (normally I'd have used a glass, but the only glasses I have don't accommodate the single, large ice cube I have.  I realized this after breaking Glass #1 attempting to insert said ice cube), so I'll use another coffee cup instead.


My mom always said that lots of milk is good for you!


'Looks to be about the right shade of brown.


How's this for a healthy breakfast?!

 
And, yes, I'll be going to the gym later today.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Steve - you make me chuckle and warm my little old heart!!! Hope you have a great day at the gym!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it would work to substitute vanilla soy milk for the sweetened condensed milk? Maybe you can't get soy milk there....just an idea for a healthier drink.
    Love the pics of the neighborhood and those beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete