Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mangosteens! Yum!

One of the best parts about Asia is all of the funky fruits they have here that you can't find anywhere else in the world.  Now that it's summer, many of the same fruits I've found on previous trips to this corner of the world are popping up again. 

Since many of you may not be familiar with these, I figure I'll try to introduce them to you as I see them around the neighborhood.  Normally I'd save the best for last but my friend Chi, while she was in Saigon over the holiday, made a special effort to pick up the one fruit which is my favorite...and which I haven't yet found here in Hanoi.  Mangosteens!


Mangosteens are these smallish, purple round fruits that don't look particularly tasty.  They're a little smaller than a tennis ball and have a tough, thick, purple skin. 


After you peel them open, there's a small, orange-like white center.  That's the fruit.

It's pretty much just pure, sweet awesome-ness!  And hopefully they'll be available here in Hanoi soon!

Next week, Dragon Fruit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment