Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tam Dao National Park Part I

Today we had planned to visit Cuc Phuong National Park, southwest of Hanoi.  But it would have been our longest trip yet by far and, given the weather, we decided to hold off and instead head north to Tam Dao National Park.

View Larger Map

Les and Steve weren't able to join us today, so it was just my friend, Mr Thanh (pronounced "Tang" - or at least that's how I say it) and I.  I should mention here that next to Chi, Mr Thanh is probably my closest Vietnamese friend here.  He's a great guy, always smiling and we laugh a lot, so obviously we have lots in common.  He's got a great Vietnamese English accent and says things like "ya, sure", refers to scenic places as "lovely" and replies with "wow, that's fantastic!" when I tell him something interesting.  He's become a good friend.

Today's adventure began before our adventure even began.  Mr Thanh dropped by my apartment at 7:30 for a relatively late start.  Of course, we were both hungry so he suggested a spot where we could stop for breakfast.



The place looked fine, if for no other reason than it had standard size seats, and he asked if I was feeling adventurous.  For me, that's a standard "yes" and he replied "good, because this place only serves one thing - eel".  Ok then!

A few minutes later, our waiter brought two bowls of Mien Luon Nghe An. 


Other than bean sprouts and some scallions, there wasn't much I recognized.  The noodles were translucent and the eel looked like slender mushrooms (Mr Thanh said it was a small eel).  After squeezing a couple of limes in for flavor, I gave it a shot.



It wasn't bad, but tasted a little soapy.  I wasn't sure if that was the eel or the bowl I was eating from.  I mentioned this to Mr T, but I think he thought I said "soupy" and agreed.  "Ya, sure!"

The streetside kitchen where the eel's goose is cooked!
After finishing up, we headed west for a bit before heading north on the Bao Thang Long bridge/freeway north out of town (and also the road to Noi Bai Airport).  To enter the freeway at this point, you immediately get on the Bao Thang Long Bridge, a huge monster of a span which crosses the Red River and seems to go on for miles.  Whenever I go to the airport, it always makes me nervous because it's always fast, congested and full of crazy drivers.   

Fortunately, we avoided all that as scooters have their own special lanes underneath the bridge to avoid having to mix with the larger, faster truck and auto traffic.

The on-ramp (regular traffic goes above)
Scooters travel underneath the main section of highway above.
Both north and southbound scooter traffic have their own separate "lanes".
View looking out over the massive Red River
Shortly after leaving the bridge, we turned left and headed northwest via a road which was largely under construction or should have been.  Because of the rain, there were massive potholes everywhere for quite some distance and it was quite the obstacle course weaving back and forth, attempting to avoid both the wet and the potholes.  At the end, Mr Thanh suggested in his great accent that we'd been "dancing with the street".  :o)

To reward our efforts, we stopped for a delicious cup of ca phe sua da at a nice little restaurant along the road. 

Ca phe sua da in foreground.  Mr Thanh in back.
Regular chairs!  Twice in one day! 



We're headed somewhere up there. More on that tomorrow. :o)

3 comments:

  1. Eel "soup" for breakfast? Uffda! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's adventure, but also wondering what the stuff is hanging from the ceiling above second place with regular chairs!
    A grand idea having special scooter lanes on the freeway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about what was hanging from that ceiling in the second place too! What an interesting decoration! Same color as the soup! I don't think eel sounds too appetizing, though. It must be popular if they can exist just serving one thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the eel soup hasn't deterred Josh! He's looking forward to his trip!

    ReplyDelete