Monday, June 13, 2011

I love Vietnam! Part I

Yesterday didn't go quite as planned as our trip to Tam Dao was cancelled yet again.  Fortunately, our two-hour alternate turned out to be an all day adventure.  And it was awesome.

The pictures here tell the story I think.  It'll be a two-parter - roughly the first half tonight, the second half tomorrow night.


View Larger Map

The original plan was to start in Tay Ho (E) and go west to the white dot (toward Ba Vi National Park), make a quick jot south, then head back into town on QL6; a nice little triangle, maybe two hours tops. 

As it turned out, we followed the path shown above instead.  Not on purpose.  We got lost. 

Once or twice.  Ok, maybe a few times. 

Our two hour tour ended up being seven hours and around 120 miles long.  When I told people at work that we got a little lost and popped out at Phu Ly, their eyes got big, like we had somehow made a wrong turn and ended up in Sydney or something (Phu Ly is 60km south of Hanoi).

Anyway, here are some pictures from the trip, Part I.


A roundabout commemorating the election
and the soon-to-come lotus season


A fellow "scooter-er" in Hanoi.


Who needs an SUV to tote that new 'fridge home?


I have no idea what this man is toting
(or the person to his left, for that matter).


Mall and new development west of Tay Ho.


Entering the parking garage, "your ticket, sir!"
(there are two lanes; both only wide enough for scooters)


Inside the parking garage - scooters as far as the eye can see.


Nice enough inside but odd; no western stores of any kind.
Even the food court had nothing but Vietnamese fast food.
As they say in Hanoi, "Same, same, but different!"


A pack of wild broom sellers.


West of the mall, lots of farmland.
And plenty of corn...just like Minnesota and Wisconsin!


(Ok, except for the palm tree off in the distance).

As the map shows, we were planning to head south on Highway 21.  Without a map, we took what we thought was the right exit.  Our first clue that we were off the beaten path should have been the fact that the entire freeway was covered with hay and grain the farmers had set out to dry.









 







Initially, I wasn't sure what we were to do; if they'd be upset that we were driving over their "crops".  In most cases we had no choice.  Fortunately, as we drove, we were greeted by wide smiles and friendly "xin chaos" and "hellos".  It was very cool and one of my favorite parts of the day.

 

View to the west as we turned around to get back on the freeway below.
And where, I now notice, more hay has been set out to dry.


 Stay tuned!  Tomorrow I'll post the second half of our adventure!

4 comments:

  1. Another grand escapade - and really fun pictures! I'm so glad you are able to get out and about once in awhile! Work, work, work makes for a dull boy!!! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have to say is....I;m coming to Vietnam with Josh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hay story and pictures! Plus the oversized loads on the scooters! I can hardly wait to see what Josh thinks of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same, same but different? Too funny!

    ReplyDelete